Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"Watch your mouth!"

Proverbs 18:6 "A fool's lips enter into contention and his mouth calls for blows." Proverbs 18:13 "He who answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame to him." Proverbs 18:21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue." I recently heard a song called "Words," by Hawk Nelson here are the lyrics to the first verse and chorus; "They make me feel like a prisoner, they make me feel set free, they make me feel like a criminal they, make me feel like a king. Words can bring you up, words can break you down, start a fire in your heart or put it out. But let my words be life, let my words be truth, I don't want to say a word unless it points the world back to you!" I could stop there because in my opinion just that one verse and chorus are plenty powerful enough to make you "think about it." But let's think about these lyrics in respect to the scriptures above. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has ever been guilty of "running off at the mouth," or speaking out of turn. Word solidify relationships, seal deals and have the power to change decisions. We must make conscious effort not to condemn ourselves or others with our words. Consider the power of the words, "I love you, "I forgive you," and "I am sorry," how about, "I hate you," or "your ugly." A few words spoken or written can turn a good day bad and vice versa. Since the dawn of time words have, for lack of a better word, "made the world go around." I mean it was the simple words, "let there be light," that started it all! But just as words are powerful, silence is as well. When was the last time you had the opportunity to share God's word with someone but opted to say nothing? So before that next phone call, text or facebook post remember all the letters you type, text or say will turn into words that carry weight. Let your words be life and truth! Watch your mouth! Think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment